Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No directional signal lights

Default No directional signal lights

I took a ride the other day, put on the directional, no problem. Next turn, no directionals.

I've been trouble shooting it for a couple of days off and on, but no luck.

Here is what I have now. Car is a 1978 308 GTS USA model

1. changed flasher unit-no change
    2. changed fuse (old fuse was not blown)
    3. cleaned all kinds of connectors
    4. hazard switch works-all four corners and dash light flash (My car has a separate flasher just for the hazard light circuit)
    5. I do turn on ignition (but not start the engine) to test the directionals
    6.I jumped the two flasher terminals (B and L) on the panel but no lights on dash
    7. I am using the wiring diagram from my actual owners manual (that seems to be the most accurate, but there are still some color and wire differences)
    8. flipped the hazard switch multiple times to insure good internal connections (switch was throughly cleaned several years ago)

I'm assuming that because the hazard light flashes the four corners and dash indicator lights that the bulbs are intact

My next step will be to remove the column switch and check for mechanical damage to the turn signal section. (I'm not expecting any)

Any ideas will help

War-Chester - the dark side of the MOON, apparently...

Have you 'jiggled' the turn-signal stalk? I had a similar problem with my turn signals, it was a bad connection to the relay.

Quote Originally Posted by Ribman View Post
    Have you 'jiggled' the turn-signal stalk? I had a similar problem with my turn signals, it was a bad connection to the relay.
    I jiggled a lot of connections. the turn stalk seems solid. i need to borrow the four prong wrench and remove the steering column switche and check the connections and solder joint.

turn signal.jpg

Problem solved... I just happen to know a guy who can re-cast this!

They just don't make them like they used to.

Little super glue and it'll be like new
    History always repeats itself,... that's one of the things that's wrong with history.

Recast a new end. Directional are back.

Of course you can’t hear the flasher over the engine noise and the lights are not bright, especially when wearing sunglasses. So every now and then I’m one of those guys driving around with my blinker on for 10 miles!

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    Recast a new end. Directional are back.

Of course you can’t hear the flasher over the engine noise and the lights are not bright, especially when wearing sunglasses. So every now and then I’m one of those guys driving around with my blinker on for 10 miles!
    I replaced the dash bulbs in my car once - not a difficult job, although the screws holding your steering wheel to the column are glued-in with Loc-Tite and tough to bust loose....big improvement to dash light visibility. Factory bulbs were crap when new, and are probably near-death now.

I replaced my bulbs when I had the car off the road several years ago. Actually, without sunglasses the indicator bulbs aren’t bad. I also removed the speedometer and tachometer glass and cleaned the inside. That made a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    I replaced my bulbs when I had the car off the road several years ago. Actually, without sunglasses the indicator bulbs aren’t bad. I also removed the speedometer and tachometer glass and cleaned the inside. That made a big difference.
    Do those glass lenses just thread-off?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast