Thread: Tie Rod Ends

War-Chester - the dark side of the MOON, apparently...

Default Tie Rod Ends

Finally got around to getting new tires on my 308. Teenage girl in the Service dept. got the task, we nixed the alignment (for now) because of serious doubts about getting the car up their ramps without hitting the rear sway bars on the incline. While the tires were off, the hubs were checked for 'play' and there's some play in my front hubs. Might need new tie rods, I was told. Quick google search indicated that inner tie rod parts are dirt cheap, but some info that QV tie rods are adjustable and prone to loosening-up over time. Anyone know about this area?

Play in hubs is typically wheel bearings. There is always some degree of play, as measured, in a hub. Tie rods and tie rod ends are two very different animals. Tie rod ends, the part at the wheel spindle are inexpensive and have a long life. The 308 inner tie rod end and toe rod are all one piece. They are neither inexpensive, adjustable or readily available. There were at least six variants of the steering rack used from the 246 to 328, all are slightly different. If there is indeed play in the rack, it should be removed from the car and sent to a professional rebuild. Frankly, I'd send the car over to IFS and have a real pro assess the front end condition. I'm just not feeling comfortable taking advice from a teenage girl or guy on the condition of my Ferrari. YMMV
    Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
    "The Fluent in Ferrari Guys" celebrating 37 years of service excellence
    Lakewood Ranch, FL
    www.fluentinferrari.com

I have a slight play lately on my 328's steering and I identified the passenger side outer tie-rod, the rubber is nicked so I guess it worn out, there is a little click sound also when I drive over a speed bump. no play on my hubs and I re-greased the front wheel bearings a few years ago, the ball-joints seems perfect,

I ordered both outer tie-rods from Superformance, will install them soon...

cheers

War-Chester - the dark side of the MOON, apparently...

Quote Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
    Play in hubs is typically wheel bearings. There is always some degree of play, as measured, in a hub. Tie rods and tie rod ends are two very different animals. Tie rod ends, the part at the wheel spindle are inexpensive and have a long life. The 308 inner tie rod end and toe rod are all one piece. They are neither inexpensive, adjustable or readily available. There were at least six variants of the steering rack used from the 246 to 328, all are slightly different. If there is indeed play in the rack, it should be removed from the car and sent to a professional rebuild. Frankly, I'd send the car over to IFS and have a real pro assess the front end condition. I'm just not feeling comfortable taking advice from a teenage girl or guy on the condition of my Ferrari. YMMV
    Well, it turns-out that the Sears gal wasn't-exactly wrong after all.....

IFS looked at it this AM, and the rack is bad along with the inner tie rods. Fortunately, they have another unit in-stock. Tie-rods will arrive tomorrow morning, and I should get the car back tomorrow evening.