Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Starting to look at cars

Oh, there are definitely a lot of these replicas in MA. I think this law is only a few years old.

Scott - I couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by Defenseman View Post
    I've read all the laws
    Did you read 310 CMR 60.02(12)(c)? It seems pretty clear that you cannot use a new crate motor on a kit car in MA. You have to rebuild an old block/head at the very least.
    I enjoy talking to you. Your mind appeals to me. It resembles my own mind except that you happen to be insane.
    ― George Orwell, 1984

I read that, but I believe there is a distinction between kit car and a replica, no?
    According to Mass.... ''Replica vehicle'', a motor vehicle constructed or assembled by a non-manufacturer from new or used parts that, when assembled, replicates an earlier year, make and model vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Defenseman View Post
    I read that, but I believe there is a distinction between kit car and a replica, no?
    Not for the purposes of that CMR: "Kit Vehicle means a unique vehicle or a replica of any vehicle, the production volume of
    which is less than 500 vehicles per year."
    I enjoy talking to you. Your mind appeals to me. It resembles my own mind except that you happen to be insane.
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Since this Cobra replica may be too much of a pain in the ass to register in MA, I've been looking at other options.

I have always liked the Boxsters, and really like these Boxster GTS's. All the reviews I've watched rave about this model in particular, more so than the current 4 cylinder turbo variant.

I like Boxsters too. When I was out hunting for a convertible I looked at a few as you recall. Seems as though they are fairly reliable except for that intermediate shaft bearing issue that some have, and it's no joke. I have a friend from college who bought a 987 Boxster brand new and ended up having the engine literally destroy itself like 3 weeks before his warrantee was up. So he got lucky, they replaced it free. I agree that the 981 series (last of the 6 cylinder) is the one to have! Not sure if they have the IMS bearing issue. I finally decided that mid-engine cars are a pain in the ass and I already have one of those. (You can't even get access to LOOK at the engine in Boxster without tools.) So that was a strong reason to get a Z4 instead. But the Boxster is obviously a much more performance-oriented car than the Z4 which is more of a sporty GT.

Birdman
    Birdman308 for parts and tutorials!

Fabulous car! A bit biased, always been a Porsche guy.
    Birdman is spot on. Boxster is much more of a true performance car when compared to the Z4. Different cars for different tasks, both great!

Frenchman, you should come drive my Z4. I know you poo poo the Z series. This car is absolutely fabulous. It's not a track star, but it is a really nice driving car, plenty fast, handles well, and easily my favorite car of all time (of which I have owned) in terms of general all around awesomeness. It's pretty much good at everything...except having back seats!

I already have a mid-engined sports car and when I went looking at the Boxster, I was really turned off by the fact that Porsche seems to have gone out of their way to make the engine impossible to work on. There is literally no way to lay eyes on the engine without tools. So given that I tend to spend time fixing cars, I don't want to deal with that level of hassle. The 308 engine is EASY access compared to the Boxster. So all I can say Jay, is that be prepared to have someone else service the car unless you are a glutton for punishment. That being said, it's unlikely the thing will give you much trouble anyway. The Z4 has been very reliable too.

I'm loving this new S5 I got! Although that may be just because I've been driving this stupid Fusion around for three years and forgot how enjoyable an actually engaging daily driver is.
    ― George Orwell, 1984

I need to drive that puppy!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast