Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting to look at cars

Default Starting to look at cars

I'm starting to think about getting another toy next spring/summer. Right now, my top two choices are a 360 Spider or a Cobra like this one.
    I know all about the 360's and everyone's opinions on them, but what do you all think about the Cobra replicas? I know it's not "real", but 480hp in something this size has to be an absolute blast to drive. And for the price of a Corvette.

Quote Originally Posted by Defenseman View Post
    I'm starting to think about getting another toy next spring/summer. Right now, my top two choices are a 360 Spider or a Cobra like this one.
    I know all about the 360's and everyone's opinions on them, but what do you all think about the Cobra replicas? I know it's not "real", but 480hp in something this size has to be an absolute blast to drive. And for the price of a Corvette.
    BDR makes an incredible car and their performance is amazing for 80-100K depending on options. However, not having a top means you either need to stay very close to home, or pay extra close attention to weather forecast. It also means you are at the mercy of having an open car and people doing pretty much whatever they want when you are not around. I too have often thought about getting a Cobra, I love the looks and performance, the biggest reason why I haven't is the 400 degree exhaust pipe to deal with getting in or out of the car. I've seen a few people get burned over the years and just can't bring myself to do that. If BDR makes a Daytona Coupe variant some day, go for it.
    Why yes! That was me passing you on the outside of 6.

I see your point Jay, but I'd be leaning towards a more brand name recognizable manufacturer such as AutoKraft or Superformance. Another interesting kit car is the Nobel...
    Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
    "The Fluent in Ferrari Guys" celebrating 37 years of service excellence
    Lakewood Ranch, FL
    www.fluentinferrari.com

I do realize a Cobra would be about as useful as my motorcycle, and that is a definite downside. $60-65k is a reasonable price for the performance and fun, but if I end up hardly using it because of the lack of a roof, then what good is it? The plus side is, on those nice sunny days, it really would be a fun car to drive.

David, I'm not too familiar with Autokraft. From what I've read, Kirkham seems to the the #1 version, but those things are over $100k. Backdraft and Superformance seem to both be well regarded and well built. One reason I lean towards the Backdraft is because my friend is the dealer, and there is a better deal to be had. Also, the Cobras are the only kit cars I would consider. For some reason, I look at the Cobras as a cool replica and others as POS kit cars. That may not make any sense, but what can I say?
    Also, keep me in mind if you come across any nice 360 Spiders for sale after the new year. That is the other car I would be interested in.

Nobel is now Rossion here in the states. Last I knew they were not making anything new for the America's. Its been a while since I've checked though. Backdraft is the new standard in turn key or rolling/minus cars.

David you should check out some of the cars they are building. http://www.backdraftracing.com/ These are not your typical FFR cobra kit.

My buddies at Motorcars International have this bad girl forsale. https://www.motorcars-intl.com/vehic...282fd62e495e8b

Aluminum Bodied Kirkham.. As close to a real deal CSX car as you can get.
    Why yes! That was me passing you on the outside of 6.

Jay, I considered a Cobra replica as well. Reality is they are less practical than a motorcycle. I have ridden a motorcycle many times in the rain. Dress proper and ride with caution. You cannot drive the Cobra in the rain due to interior damage.
    Another advantage to a car with a top is cold weather driving. I am still driving my 360 spider top up. 430s are now sub $100k Ferraris if you don't pay the ridiculous premium for a stick! Market is currently very soft. Most asking prices you see are not close to reality.
    If the weather is OK Sunday, we should have my 360 spider, F430 spider, Huracan, Maserati and maybe 308s at Starbucks around 9:30~10:00

Might be able to make it Sunday. Keep me posted.

I think the Cobra is super cool, but it definitely will always have the "kit car" stigma. Whether or not you care is another matter. Personally, I would chose a 360 spider over a Cobra replica. That said, the Cobra is probably easier to maintain and no timing belt drama. I agree on the lack of a roof. I have been enjoying my Z4 quite a bit since it got cold. Close the roof, put on the seat heaters...nice.

For less money you can get a Z06 convertible....that's a lot of car for the money.
    Birdman308 for parts and tutorials!

I just read that the new Z4 will start at about $62,000. Wow!

Jonathan, I think you got a bargain. (Although the new Z4 is a totally different car).

I absolutely LOVE the Cobra... you can't buy it for practical reasons... it's all about the thrill and styling. No comforts... it's a bitch to control... it isn't fun to drive long distance... but, it is a clench-your-butt ride!!
    History always repeats itself,... that's one of the things that's wrong with history.

Caveman, Well Said!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast