Thread: Ford GT hit's guard rail departing FONE Norwood Cars and Coffee

Default Ford GT hit's guard rail departing FONE Norwood Cars and Coffee

https://www.instagram.com/p/BomV7bxH...d=73vpalrc0tl6

Happened yesterday about 15 minutes after I left. Driver shifts to 2nd and the shit hits the fan - wtf happened?

Think this owner/car was at Verell's BBQ several times over the years - anybody know him?

Saw Mike Conti and Kenny there.

According to the guy who posted the video:

"Not car expert by any means - How did he loose control going straight and not that fast?

Olson Auto - it’s referred to as a “powerband” or where a car performs best. In this case, it was the top of second gear, on slightly sandy roads so he lost enough traction to spin the tires, causing him to crash. Had he lifted off the gas he may have been able to avoid it but slim chance." End Quote

So would that mean the stability control was off or failed?
    Last edited by RichMan; 10-07-2018 at 04:40 PM.

He spun BECAUSE he lifted.
    Birdman308 for parts and tutorials!

Since you've driven an F1 car I'll take that to the bank. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    He spun BECAUSE he lifted.
    And had cold tires. Lift created the snap but having no traction due to cold tires only made it worse.
    Why yes! That was me passing you on the outside of 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackman View Post
    And had cold tires. Lift created the snap but having no traction due to cold tires only made it worse.
    Ah! Deadly combo. Thanks Scotty.

It looks to me like he is on the gas, the rear wheels broke free and the rear end stepped out a little. His immediate reaction was to lift off the gas, which transfers weight forward, unloading what grip the rears had, and the momentum of the rear end swings around like a pendulum, especially tricky in a mid-engine car with 60% of the weight out back. Classic lift-on-oversteer crash. And like Scott said, probably would not have happened with warm tires. Or if he just left the damn traction control on. Ladies and gentlemen, this is why we have traction control. Especially on 500 HP supercars with rear wheel drive. It takes a very good driver to drive these cars without it. And no, most of us are not that good.

Come to the next autocross day (hint hint Scott!) and try it yourself in your own car. Very educational. Autocross will teach you a lot about driving in a safe way. And while it is true I have in fact driven an F1 car all I did that day was try to keep the damn thing out of the weeds. What a monster that car was. 800 HP, rear wheel drive, no traction control.

I have a good story about oversteer. One time I was waiting to pull out of the post office in the Mondial. There was a lot of traffic, so I was (impatiently) waiting for a break in the traffic. Finally there was a small break and I punched it. But I was taking a left out of the parking lot onto a street while I was punching it, and I hit the gas a little hard. And yes, even a Mondial will break the rears loose when you do that, especially as Scott said, with cold tires. As the rear end was swinging, I knew that if I lifted, the rear would go all the way around into the curb on the other side of the street. So I kept my foot in it, rears spinning and burning rubber, making a hell of a racket, (essentially power-on "drifting") until I got it straightened out. Then I gently let off. This was right across the street from the High school, so this douche maneuver was accomplished in front of about 100 various football players, track runners and cheerleaders. I got a rousing cheer from the crowd, but if there has been a cop there, I would have probably been arrested! But I DIDN'T spin the car and trash a wheel!! I was pretty relieved about that because it was a close one.

Birdman
    Last edited by Birdman; 10-08-2018 at 01:30 PM.

I second the idea of doing some training about how to handle cars under power! I, for one, would love to have a better understanding/feel for how my Challenger handles under these different conditions!
    History always repeats itself,... that's one of the things that's wrong with history.

You will laugh so hard doing that at the autocross that you will not be able to stop. Such a riot.

The fine line between exciting and expensive has again been crossed.
    Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
    "The Fluent in Ferrari Guys" celebrating 37 years of service excellence
    **An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
    Sarasota, FL
    www.fluentinferrari.com