Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: mysterious rattle

Ceramic coating is basicly powder coating a high temp fusable powder, so everything gets coated inside & out.

You really should remove all heat shield remnants, especially the collector shield as the collector area is one of the more common areas for corrosion to set in.
    When it's NLA, Who do you call? Unobtainium Supply Co.

Quote Originally Posted by Verell View Post
    You really should remove all heat shield remnants, especially the collector shield as the collector area is one of the more common areas for corrosion to set in.
    Verell: Thank you for clarifying.
    Just to be sure, the areas marked in red of the attached need to have heat shield removed for ceramic coating... Sorry to be repetitive, but I don't want to cut where i shouldn't. I already cut into part of the collector that was hidden by the shield. Does it help to ceramic coat the cats or the muffler?
    Fireman: you were right about that part of the heat shield being very tough metal. Much more so than the bulky aluminum shield.
    Thanks again & kindest regards
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes, cut away the rest of the heat shield.
    I enjoy talking to you. Your mind appeals to me. It resembles my own mind except that you happen to be insane.
    ― George Orwell, 1984

I am going through this same process with my QV. In my case it was a leaking head gasket so the heads HAD to come off but I'm happy to say there was no drama. There was a bit of drama with the sampling tubes however. I had originally planned to plug them but the ones on the 1-4 bank were so corroded I had to drill them out so I just had the bungs completely removed and welded shut. Since my car is a QV there is virtually no possible use for those tubes anyway. I debated on weather to remove the collector shields or not but left them on as they appear to be stainless rather than aluminum like the jackets. I had them ceramic coated in matt silver. I also had a bit of trouble with the air injection rails, I had to cut them to get the nuts loose then re-welded them back together. I'm in California so probably need them even if only for visual since they are not tested and are only activated for a few minutes during cold start after which they are completely closed off by the check valves.

I had my valves touched up and installed all new guides and seals but right now I'm trying to figure out how to measure my clearances so I can calculate and order the new shims I need. The problem is that after having the valves and seats done there are some with no measurable clearance. The thinnest shim I have is 3.88 so anything that will need a shim less than 3.50 I can't get a measurement on. I think I will have to just get measurements on all of the ones I can then order the shims and use the thinnest I have to get measurements on the ones I couldn't. Either that or order one 3.05 shim (thinnest available) and use it as a test mule.

Anyway I'm on the back-side now, putting things back together and despite the challenges I've really enjoyed working on my first Ferrari. I've been into Alfas for about 40 years, it's not really that much different.
    Attached Images Attached Images

On a QV engine, the valve shims should fall between 3.85 and 4.25mm. If not, the "installed height" of the valve is not correct. Lots of information on this subject, as well as how to measure this are in the WSM. The risks of using too thin a shim to compensate for sloppy machine work is that the bucket is higher than it's supposed to be. At high rpm, there's a possibility that the cam lobe can hit the edge of the bucket.
    Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
    "The Fluent in Ferrari Guys" celebrating 37 years of service excellence
    **An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
    Sarasota, FL
    www.fluentinferrari.com

Quote Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
    On a QV engine, the valve shims should fall between 3.85 and 4.25mm. If not, the "installed height" of the valve is not correct. Lots of information on this subject, as well as how to measure this are in the WSM. The risks of using too thin a shim to compensate for sloppy machine work is that the bucket is higher than it's supposed to be. At high rpm, there's a possibility that the cam lobe can hit the edge of the bucket.
    Thanks, I have not seen this information. Do you have any links or sources on the 3.85 to 4.25 shim limits? My WSM says 3.25 to 4.60. The machine shop I used is very reputable in regards with Ferraris, I have used them for years on my Alfas and they were recommended by Patrick Otis so I'm not concerned about "sloppy" work. I am building the heads back up myself simply because I want to so if anything else needs to be done it will be. I'm in no hurry.

About 400 engines and 36 years of Ferrari service is all I got to back up what I'm telling you. The shim range in the box has nothing to do with the installation height. The job was not done correctly.
    Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
    "The Fluent in Ferrari Guys" celebrating 37 years of service excellence
    **An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
    Sarasota, FL
    www.fluentinferrari.com

Quote Originally Posted by kcabpilot View Post
    Do you have any links or sources on the 3.85 to 4.25 shim limits? My WSM says 3.25 to 4.60.
    Radioman is the source. He's a well known Ferrari pro who has customers all over the country ship their cars to him when they don't trust the local folks. The WSM is listing the limits of available shims, Radioman is telling you what is proper to do the job right.
    I enjoy talking to you. Your mind appeals to me. It resembles my own mind except that you happen to be insane.
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by Badman View Post
    Radioman is the source. He's a well known Ferrari pro who has customers all over the country ship their cars to him when they don't trust the local folks. The WSM is listing the limits of available shims, Radioman is telling you what is proper to do the job right.
    available shims are 3.05 to 4.90

Quote Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
    ...Lots of information on this subject, as well as how to measure this are in the WSM...
    Hey look, I'm not questioning anyone's expertise or knowledge here. Just politely asking for this "Lots of information" so I can do it right because my job is not "done" yet, it's in progress. I'm all ears for any guidance or advice to be shared if you so please and I'd be grateful for it.

EDIT: This is Jwtlag's thread. I just wanted to contribute to it and don't want to hijack it so I'll start a new thread on measuring installed valve stem height. Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by kcabpilot; 07-09-2018 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kcabpilot View Post
    available shims are 3.05 to 4.90
    Let me rephrase, "available shims from the factory".
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast