Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: mysterious rattle

That's cool! I can't wait to see this head puller in action!
    Birdman308 for parts and tutorials!

I couldn't take the day off as planned, but I was still able to remove one of the heads with the puller plate. After all the effort with no results at all, this plate worked like magic. I couldn't believe the power of spreading the force over the 10 head studs.
    No wonder my heads are so recalcitrant; look at the crud on the studs! I'll pull the other head tomorrow, and hopefully get the heads to the machine shop by the end of the week...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awesome head puller! The guy that built that should rent it out!!

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    Awesome head puller! The guy that built that should rent it out!!
    I agree! He should rent it out.
    I pulled the other head after work today - no drama at all. BTW I used 3/8" drive; didn't need to go 1/2".
    Three studs for each head, six total, were perfect examples of Galvanic/Dissimilar Metal Corrosion; those heads were stuck! The color of the crud makes me think that none of the gallons of ATF/acetone concoction I slathered on the studs made it to where it was needed - even with heating with a heat gun and torch and shocking the studs with a brass drift. The cylinder leak-down numbers while I was pounding with a 3 lb then 10 lb sledgehammer on 2 x 4s and 4 x 4s make be think that all the pounding in the world would not have removed those heads. The same goes for the leak-down numbers during all the prying with a crow bar on good solid pry-points. Archimedes boasted that if given a place to stand he could move the earth.... He never tried to pull a head stuck on a 308. Those heads were not coming off without a plate puller. I really lucked out with my new-found friend in Toronto
    No more slathering, heating, banging and prying away for me

Nice work. You can always count on the power of a simple machine. In this case, 10 of them per head.

Still waiting to see the condition of the inner cam drive bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post

Still waiting to see the condition of the inner cam drive bearing.
    I was hoping to post a picture of it today, but I'm stuck trying to separate the engine from the transaxle. The 1-4 side separates, but not the 5 - 8 side. I've removed all the nuts that connect the engine and transaxle - even the one that is hiding up in the gears, but the 5-8 side does not seem to want to separate. It is acting exactly like I missed a nut... I know, I know - I'm missing one, but no matter how many times I look.... Even studying other people's pictures of the engine and transaxle separated checking off each stud hole - it seems like I've removed every nut there is

There's another nut on the flywheel side between the two gear shafts. If you've already found that one, then you're simply stuck on one of the two diagonally placed locating dowels. Locate them, heat the block in that specific area...and give a light pry. That should separate the block from the dowel.
    Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
    "The Fluent in Ferrari Guys" celebrating 37 years of service excellence
    **An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
    Sarasota, FL
    www.fluentinferrari.com

Thank you Radioman!!!
    I did get all the nuts; what I needed was heat and to be more aggressive on the prying.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Bad news - the inner drive bearings are not demolished like the one outer bearing, but it looks like I damaged the shaft (#27 on TAV 8 part # 104913). The problem outer-bearing's gear just fell out scattering bits and pieces and balls & a seal when I removed the chest plate. No surprise there, but the gear shaft is badly worn. The kind gentleman in Toronto that lent me his head-pulling plate gave me a couple inner bearings that he had because he decided to only do the outers when he did a service on his own car. Anyway, I have the inners on hand that allowed me to confirm that the shaft has been damaged - it slips right on and has a little play. it should NOT just slip on So I guess I'm in the market for a cam shaft drive gear part #104913. I don't suppose NAPA keeps them on the shelf. Any ideas on where to start searching ?
    Attached Files Attached Files

I was going to say you were going to have to hit up the "car breaker" type people like Eurospares for a used one but I just did a quick search on Ricambi and they have it listed for $318? Is that possible? That's a hell of a lot cheaper than I would have expected. AllFerrariParts has it too. And Eurospares has them new and used. Your lucky day...that geat is actually CHEAP by 308 standards.

Birdman

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast