Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: mysterious rattle

Where are you located?
    Birdman308 for parts and tutorials!

Well you finally got to the problem area. A heck of a lot of work to get to a $10 bearing. I agree with Birdman that that gear and shaft is cheap by Ferrari standards.

I suspect that the "low price" is really the last known price when the gear was available. The later cars did not use this gear, either. Hopefully, someone will have one sitting on the shelf NOS. Keep in mind that there are two variations of this gear and the differences are obvious. Also, I'd be looking closely at the crankshaft gear for wear/damage. And of course, while you are in there, you'll need to replace the bearings and seals on the other side.
    Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
    "The Fluent in Ferrari Guys" celebrating 37 years of service excellence
    **An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
    Sarasota, FL
    www.fluentinferrari.com

Thanks guys! If it sounds too good to be true...
    Attached Images Attached Images

My friends at AW Italian may have one....
    Give them a call and ask for David or Stacey
    Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
    "The Fluent in Ferrari Guys" celebrating 37 years of service excellence
    **An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
    Sarasota, FL
    www.fluentinferrari.com

Thanks guys! What a support group!! feeling blessed
    I just got a call from All Ferrari Parts Inc, and they have a brand new one in wax... it's on the way.

Thanks again, and again. Stand by for a bunch of dumb questions

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    Well you finally got to the problem area. A heck of a lot of work to get to a $10 bearing. I agree with Birdman that that gear and shaft is cheap by Ferrari standards.
    A heck of a lot of work to get to a $10 bearing indeed! But I sure am glad that I decided to pull the engine and go after the inner bearing. I just wish that it had been the inner bearing and not the gear shaft. I also was surprised at the price of a gear; I was actually expecting to pay more than twice as much. Hopefully I have the right one coming. Thanks for all the moral support.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    I was going to say you were going to have to hit up the "car breaker" type people like Eurospares for a used one but I just did a quick search on Ricambi and they have it listed for $318? Is that possible? That's a hell of a lot cheaper than I would have expected. AllFerrariParts has it too. And Eurospares has them new and used. Your lucky day...that geat is actually CHEAP by 308 standards.Birdman
    Thanks for searching Birdman! All Ferrari Parts at the link you posted saved the day. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
    Remove the woodruff keys with a pair of sidecutters and replace them with new. About $1. Once the engine is off the transaxle, remove the timing cover. Then, while supporting the rear of the cover, press the shafts through. Then remove the snap rings, heat the cover and tap the bearings out.
    Thanks again for the tips Radioman! It took less than an hour to get the remnants of of the problem outer bearing and the other good shaft and bearing out. Sooo much easier than trying to get everything out from the front.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516