Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: mysterious rattle

Thanks Radioman!
    I checked the press aid, what it was pushing against and the angle of force a dozen times yesterday, but as if it was the first try I started over setting it up, and...... yep, it came off. Thank you again! Hopefully I didn't damage the dampener with heat applied yesterday. Getting the drive pullys off was easy. The seal on the rear bearing was just hanging there - all shrunk and brittle. I'm guessing there should be more than 8 balls in the bearing; it looks like I have one ball more than half of the balls left..... wonder where the other went??? I can see a circlip that needs to come out, and I assume I will need to remove the woodruff keys to pull the bearings. I've never been good at removing woodruff keys; I'll worry about that next weekend. In the meantime, I'll apply some penetrating solution to the head studs and block/ head seams a couple times a day to hopefully loosen things up a bit to get the heads off.

BTW, how's the move going? You must be super busy. Thanks again for taking the time to respond
    Attached Images Attached Images

You are doing great man! And thanks for posting the pictures. I'm going to get some popcorn and follow along. Start thinking about writing an official tutorial for my 308 site!!

Jonathan
    Birdman308 for parts and tutorials!

Nice job. You are making great progress.

When I was diagnosing my engine, I was told it was probably the inner bearing, so I got things apart and eventually I just removed the front cover with the harmonic balancer and cam drive pulleys still intact. That allowed me to check the inner bearing and I found that the rear bank bearing cage had come apart (with parts ending up in the sump). The balls were all on the bottom half of the bearing and as as soon as I touched the inner race, it loosened up and the balls and inner race just fell out. The front bank bearing was fine.

Remove the woodruff keys with a pair of sidecutters and replace them with new. About $1. Once the engine is off the transaxle, remove the timing cover. Then, while supporting the rear of the cover, press the shafts through. Then remove the snap rings, heat the cover and tap the bearings out.
    Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
    "The Fluent in Ferrari Guys" celebrating 37 years of service excellence
    **An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
    Sarasota, FL
    www.fluentinferrari.com

Thanks for the encouragement guys!
    Thanks for the tip, and sharing your knowledge Radioman! Your way makes much more sense than trying to pull the bearings out the front with the timing cover still attached. I was going to grind down a couple bolts for a home-made Sykes tool, but no need.
    I'm going to put most of my effort into getting the heads off now to see what condition the cylinders are in, and to work with less weight separating the engine from the transaxle.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314