Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fuel pump for a 1979 308 GTS

Default fuel pump for a 1979 308 GTS

My fuel pump has been making noise at start up for some time now, but goes away within a minute, so I haven't paid much attention. Today it sounded more like a screaming banshee loud enough to disturb some of the residents of a near-by cemetery. That also quieted down after less than a minute, but I get the feeling that she's trying to tell me something.

I have searched fuel pump threads on a couple boards, but haven't found anything all that helpful. One post suggested that a Mitsuba or Hardi would be a quieter pump, but I never found the noise of the original pump to be an issue.

Attached is a picture of current pump taken before I changed out all the fuel lines.

Do any of you have any recommendations?

Thank you for any suggestions
    Attached Images Attached Images

It would appear that your car retains the US-spec check valves, etc. Other than adding needless complexity to the fuel system, over time it can restrict fuel flow. So, before you condemn the fuel pump, pull the input line and see if you have reasonable fuel flow via gravity.

There are a couple of aftermarket pumps that will work just fine. All pose some mounting issues, although none are insurmountable. Piersburg, Racetech, Bendix clones, etc are all suitable. You want low pressure with at least 20 gal/hr. volume.
    Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
    "The Fluent in Ferrari Guys" celebrating 37 years of service excellence
    **An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
    Sarasota, FL
    www.fluentinferrari.com

Quote Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
    It would appear that your car retains the US-spec check valves, etc. Other than adding needless complexity to the fuel system, over time it can restrict fuel flow. So, before you condemn the fuel pump, pull the input line and see if you have reasonable fuel flow via gravity.

There are a couple of aftermarket pumps that will work just fine. All pose some mounting issues, although none are insurmountable. Piersburg, Racetech, Bendix clones, etc are all suitable. You want low pressure with at least 20 gal/hr. volume.
    I have a 78 308 GTS USA carburetor model. I installed a Pierburg 7.21440.51.0 unit. Very quiet and about $100 on line. Carb cars and Webers require lower pressure units and this one works just fine. I had a Facet, but it was much too noisy.

Thanks guys!
    Radioman: I will check the input line for sufficient fuel flow, but power is not the problem - the car runs so good it scares me (except for some ominous sounds). Murphy must be lurking somewhere, right?.....
    Fireman: my new goal is to have the engine run so quiet I can hear the fuel pump.

I'll update when it warms up enough to spend time in my garage.
    Thanks again! & kindest regards

If you can hear your fuel pump... you need a different exhaust
    History always repeats itself,... that's one of the things that's wrong with history.

I have the Facet because my OEM pump also started making a weird noise that seemed bad. The original kind of whirs. The facet makes a vibration sound as if it has a tony piston in it. It seems loud right up until you start the car.
    Birdman308 for parts and tutorials!

Sooooo,
    I bought the Pierburg 7.21440.51.0.
    I was a little surprised at how much smaller and lighter it is than the original. I installed it using the bracket that came with it running a proper ground wire to the ground terminal since the original pump was grounded by it’s bracket.

I got it all hooked up, turned the key and got a quiet purr. Started it up and it ran for about 10 seconds then died. Tried starting several times and got hardly a pop. This happened to me once before when I replaced all the fuel lines. There was a kink in the line that runs from the tank to the fuel filter. For that kink I jerry-rigged a splint that looks terrible, but has done the job just fine.

No such luck this time. No kinks. I checked, double-checked, and triple checked to make sure that the fuel lines were going in the right direction. Triple checked the wiring. Tried letting the pump run to prime it several minutes, several times, but nada. Then I remembered what Radioman said about the check valves restricting flow. Before I dig myself in any further and start taking everything apart I wanted to make sure it really was a fuel issue and not ignition, so I put the old pump back in and; voila, started right up. And without the Banshee – although I’m sure that will return in the near future.

So the unit I received is either inadequate or defective, or I just don’t know what the heck I am doing, and Murphy is having fun with me…. I checked on line, after the fact - (attached), and it shows flow volume at 95 l/hr which I believe is about 25 gal/ hr, so it should be adequate, right?

I will try testing to see if it actually pumps, but I’m leaning toward ‘I don’t know what the heck I am doing… And, Murphy, of course.

To be continued…..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Pull a line off the carb (and put it into a gas can) and see if the sucker is pumping. That's where I would start.

I have a USA model 1978 308 GTS. My car has a safety feature with a fuel pump cut-off switch in the driver's seat. If the car is started and you leave the seat, eventually the car will stop because the fuel pump will stop due to the cut off of the current. Most people, including myself, have by-passed the switch by adding a jumper wire between the leads going to the switch. This way your car can idle while you are out of the car.

I would not be surprised if your 79, assuming its a USA car, has the same system.

So when you hooked up the Pierburg pump, did you stay seated in the car or get out?

Also, once you re-installed the old pump and it ran, did you stay seated in the car or get out?

Or it simply could be a defective pump.

Fireman, do you think there is a single 308 in the world that still has that seat switch???? I find it unlikely!! (But still, a good suggestion to check that so good thinking).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast