Thread: Harry's Garage

Default Harry's Garage

I would love to take a Fiberglass panel and the same steel panel from a 308 and weigh them. I would bet money that the steel panels are actually lighter than the glass. Fiberglass is heavy as hell. I completely agree that the glass cars are worth more because they are rarer, but Ferrari didn't make fiberglass cars because they liked fiberglass or it was preferred. In fact, it was a move to get the car on the market as soon as possible before the company went bankrupt. As soon as the steel forms were ready, they started stamping out steel bodied cars and slowly discontinued the fiberglass bodies because they were more expensive to make. The 308 saved Ferrari. I would love to see the 308 get more respect than just being the "cheap Ferrari normal people can own" and I am so sick of people repeating the completely bogus myth that the Fiberglass cars are "better." The dry sump engine has some definite racing benefits (i.e. not to anyone that just drives it on the street) but let's be clear, the fiberglass car is worth more because of rarity, not because of some perceived "performance advantage." That's utter crap.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...harrys-garage/

Birdman
    Birdman308 for parts and tutorials!

What are the other differences besides the dry sump? More aggressive cam setup, and single exhaust pipe. Anything else?
    I enjoy talking to you. Your mind appeals to me. It resembles my own mind except that you happen to be insane.
    ― George Orwell, 1984

My understanding.
    Fiberglass 308s were lighter than their steel brothers. How much I don't know.
    Euro dry sump 308s had hotter cams, far lighter, higher compression and considerably higher HP. The Euro performance times were like night and day compared to the heavier, smog restricted US versions. Dry sump certainly helped as well.
    I have a friend with a Euro dry sump glass 14k mile 308 GTB. Not long ago he tried to sell for $50k. No buyers. Worth about 5X that now! The unicorn of 308s!

If in fact the fiberglass cars are (slightly) lighter, I would bet money it has nothing to do with the fiberglass. But I'm not sure I even believe they are lighter. I also do not think that the dry sump engines were any different than the wet sump engines outside the single distributor (a Euro thing, not a dry sump thing) and of course the oiling system. It's all myth. Nobody has ever provided any evidence of that. Maybe I'm wrong. It just doesn't make any financial sense to have so many different version of an engine in production. I'm sure Radioman could shed some light on that.

Now, comparing the Euro versus US spec, yes, huge difference, what with the heavy bumpers and stuff. The dual distributors for the USA was an emissions boondoggle. Not debating that the Euro was better/lighter in that regard. My understanding is that all the early engines ('75-'77), wet sump or dry, all had the same cams. Timing slightly different on USA spec and of course dual distributors with second set of points.

My biggest gripe with the above link is just the offensive title:

Why the Early 308 GTB Is One of the Best Semi-Affordable Ferraris You Can Buy

About 300 lbs lighter and 10 more ponies. That's a big deal in a 3100 lb car. A dry sump is simply better, street or track. The gtb chassis is far superior to the flexi-flyer gts. The later 2-valve injected car was a pathetic performer. The qv brought back the much need hp, but needed to go on a diet and lacked the throttle response of the early carb cars. The early cars had very different cam timing than what followed.

What's not to like?
    Last edited by Radioman; 08-31-2017 at 07:34 PM.
    Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
    "The Fluent in Ferrari Guys" celebrating 37 years of service excellence
    Lakewood Ranch, FL
    www.fluentinferrari.com

Radioman, I assume you are talking about the difference between USA and Euro, not glass/steel. I would like to see two otherwise identical Euros (steel/glass) on a scale. I'm betting the 300# number everyone quotes is between the Euro and USA model, not between steel/glass. Be logical. There is simply no way that there is 300# to be lost from a 308 from one model to another on the basis of the body work. Anyone who has ever picked up a piece of fiberglass versus a piece of thin steel, knows that fiberglass is heavier. (Pick up a fiberglass ladder at home depot, then pick up an aluminum one). I would bet money that the bodywork alone is lighter on a steel car. I would bet money that there is no appreciable difference in weight between a Euro glass car and a Euro steel car with the same engine and bumpers.
    Last edited by Birdman; 09-01-2017 at 09:39 AM.

My point it that everyone is always talking about how much "better" the early fiberglass cars are because they are lighter and have higher performance. Total bullshit. They are rarer and they don't rust. That's why they are worth more. It has absolutely nothing to do with performance (as if performance has anything to do with these underpowered antique children of the smog era anyway). The "performance gap" (weight and power) is between USA spec and Euro spec, not which bodywork is on the car.

Cool, someone posted something ! though all you guys were gone for good :-)

No Bird,

'75-'77 - 308 GTB Vetroresina cars by far more limited in numbers than the rest of 308's and being Fibreglass makes it even more unique and to my understanding they were 300-330 lbs lighter than models mid 1977 on wards irrespective EURO/USA, the emmisions laws restricted the US model to 237 BHP and some rest of the worlds countries got the wet sumps. Euro spec were dry sump and 253 BHP.

and yes these aspects makes them 4-5x more valuable like Frenchman stated.

sure, not necessarily 'better'

nice thread you started here !
    All the best
    Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
    Cool, someone posted something ! though all you guys were gone for good :-)
    Sometimes there's not that much traffic, but we're all still here
    I enjoy talking to you. Your mind appeals to me. It resembles my own mind except that you happen to be insane.
    ― George Orwell, 1984

hey Badman, how are you, nice to know the guys are still around !