Thread: Interesting article on speed limits

Default Interesting article on speed limits

I enjoy talking to you. Your mind appeals to me. It resembles my own mind except that you happen to be insane.
    ― George Orwell, 1984

North of Augusta, Rte 95 in Maine now has a 70 MPH speed limit and I find that most people drive about 72-75, which is about what feels right. In the sections of highway where the speed limit is 65, people drive the same speed. Because it seems right. There is no logic to the unreasonably low speed limits in this country. 55 in anything but the heaviest traffic is stupid slow. And on the other hand, as the speed limit rises, people don't push it as far over the limit because they don't feel the need. There really is a "warm fuzzy" spot for the speed limit that most people are comfortable with.
    Birdman308 for parts and tutorials!

I do 75mph on 95 north of Danvers in the far right hand lane. With the exception of the Prius drivers, I am often the slowest car out there!
    Rte 3 south of Boston to the Cape. I leave at 6:00AM. Speed limit 55mph? Traffic is traveling 75~80mph.

Yeah, you guys are pointing out what I defintely thought were the two most interesting points in the article; that people drive at the speed they're comfortable and changing the speed limit up or down doesn't change that, and that driving at a speed significantly different than the rest of traffic is more dangerous than driving at any specific speed.
    I enjoy talking to you. Your mind appeals to me. It resembles my own mind except that you happen to be insane.
    ― George Orwell, 1984

I'll be sure and cite that to the judge should I ever have the need.

Good luck with that
    ― George Orwell, 1984