Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Sly_G's 308 GTS QV project

Ribman, he was talking about the 'kits' that David and I have put in a few cars, including mine, that stick with the original York style compressor rather than converting to the Sanden style like in your car.
    I enjoy talking to you. Your mind appeals to me. It resembles my own mind except that you happen to be insane.
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the info on AC conversion! I have put everything in a new thread for ease of access for everyone.

Now back on topic: does anyone has an opinon on the cylinders condition (page 4) and, if they are re-buildable, would recommend a place to get them reconditionned?

Best,

Sylvain

Some of those liners have severe wear. You have three options. Replace with new OEM. Replace with custom steel liners. There is no viable third option.
    Last edited by Radioman; 12-06-2017 at 11:13 AM.
    Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
    "The Fluent in Ferrari Guys" celebrating 37 years of service excellence
    **An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
    Sarasota, FL
    www.fluentinferrari.com

Quote Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
    There is no viable third option.
    Bore it out to 5 liters!!!
    Birdman308 for parts and tutorials!

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    Bore it out to 5 liters!!!
    Yeah right... 3.4 or 3.5L would be an option but I'd like to stay close to stock.

Drop this puppy in!

Waukesha.jpg
    I enjoy talking to you. Your mind appeals to me. It resembles my own mind except that you happen to be insane.
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by Badman View Post
    Drop this puppy in!

Waukesha.jpg
    You're welcome to help putting it in!

Awesome, I'm good at engine installs!

hammer.jpg
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by Sly_G View Post
    Dear all,

As the winter begins, I find more time to spend in my freezing cold garage and make some progress on the project.

After taking the engine out, the first head came off very easy (it was taken off recently, see pistons to understand) but the second (front) was badly stuck. Turned out that one of the studs was completely corroded, which does not seem uncommon for these engines. With lots of patience, strong hammering and home-made penetrating oil (50% ATF / 50% Acetone) it came off Friday! What a relief! And the project goes on!

Quick look at the cylinders in the next post. I am thinking of getting them out and having them restored with a more modern Nikasil treatment. Do you know where this could be done? Opinions?

Cheers to all.

Sly
    Any updates? I am interested in what you decided to do and how you went about it.

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the long silence! Progress has been made since the 2nd head came off. It took several months and thousands miles of travel, but I showed the block to several (5) shops in France with experience in rebuilding Ferrari engines and all, without exception, were confident with the condition of the liners. I therefore decided to trust them and go with the stock liners, and ordered all parts with new rings keeping the OEM pistons.

Last weekend, with my mechanic mentor Bernard, we worked on the heads. One was rebuilt recently, all guides were new and the other head was original (80K miles) and the guides worn. We replaced the guides with aftermarket bronze on the original head, put new valves on both heads (previous timing issue...), re-grinded the seats and surfaced the heads for 10:1 CR.

A few pictures:

Fabricating custom tools for pressing out/in the guides:

IMG_5161.jpg

Pressing the guides:

IMG_5165.jpg

Grinding seats:

IMG_5174.jpg

IMG_5176.jpg

Surfacing the heads:

Head surfacing.jpg

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345