Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sly_G's 308 GTS QV project

The tool works just fine. You just need to grind off the excess around the circumference​ as well as machine it about 40 thousands thinner. On the best of days, there's​ little room to swing the wrench.
    Ferrari Service of Bedford, LLC
    "The Fluent in Ferrari Guys" celebrating 35 years of service excellence
    **An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
    Bedford, NH 03110
    www.fluentinferrari.com

Thanks for the advice David!

Now, time to disassemble the beast... Wish me luck, especially with pulling the heads off!

cheers,

Sylvain

Quote Originally Posted by Sly_G View Post

Of course, THE reference for the engine pull out is on Birdman's site: http://www.birdman308.com/service/en...ove-engine.htm
    David provided all the information in that article...he is the man. Nice work getting the engine out!!!!
    Birdman308 for parts and tutorials!

Hi Guys,

While finishing to disassemble the engine, I am starting to compile a first list of parts for the rebuild.

For a quick background, the engine has 88k miles on the clock and had a belt changing issue, which started this project.

I am now looking for advice from experienced engine rebuilders on what would be required to be changed.

In particular regarding gaskets, seals and bearings, my experience in rebuilding performance motorcycle engines tells me that the choice of the good brand for the job is critical. What brands of gaskets / seals and bearings would you recommend? Are there preferred suppliers for these?
    I found a full QV kit from Superperformance.co.uk, but no information on the brands. I have contacted them for more information.

Other question on ball bearings. Besides timing belts bearings, which one would you replace (including in the gearbox) - it's not always easy to tell which ones may fail soon and some may be more prone to failure?

Cheers to all!

Sly

You're in the deep end of the pool as this is no motor cycle engine and parts support is near nil. All of the gaskets are reproduction, although there are new production Elring head gaskets being made. This is my choice.
    Seals: Viton wherever possible
    Bearings in the engine? This should not be a question-All! Again, genuine wherever possible. The lower outer timing chest bearings are quite expensive and can be hard to find. It is an SKF proprietary bearing.
    Rod small end bushings-resized or a bigger pin
    Rod bolts: Replaced
    Main and rod bearings? ideally Vandervell, but they may be NLA. Aftermarket, but check every dimension twice.
    Thrust bearings: Only genuine Ferrari which will be Vandervell! These are cheap!

Without complete disassembly, which will require a few special tools, I wouldn't even consider a parts list.
    The gearbox is very robust, but without period care....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Ferrari Service of Bedford, LLC
    "The Fluent in Ferrari Guys" celebrating 35 years of service excellence
    **An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
    Bedford, NH 03110
    www.fluentinferrari.com

Hi David,

Thank you for the fast answer and for providing this [very] valuable information!

Trying to locate the parts from the good manufacturers right now.

We have the same problem when restoring vintage motorcycles, only parts reproductions are available, hence my question. Regarding the bearings, I of course asked only about ball bearings, not main and rod bearings. On the bikes I worked on, in some instances, the ball bearings available are worse than used original so we don't replace them or source low mileage used parts.

I will keep posting as progress is made.

Thank you all for the support while I hold my breath in the deep end of the pool!

Cheers,

Sylvain

Default 2017-12-03 Update

Dear all,

As the winter begins, I find more time to spend in my freezing cold garage and make some progress on the project.

After taking the engine out, the first head came off very easy (it was taken off recently, see pistons to understand) but the second (front) was badly stuck. Turned out that one of the studs was completely corroded, which does not seem uncommon for these engines. With lots of patience, strong hammering and home-made penetrating oil (50% ATF / 50% Acetone) it came off Friday! What a relief! And the project goes on!

IMG_4527.jpg

IMG_4531.jpg

IMG_4536.jpg

Quick look at the cylinders in the next post. I am thinking of getting them out and having them restored with a more modern Nikasil treatment. Do you know where this could be done? Opinions?

Cheers to all.

Sly
    Last edited by Sly_G; 12-04-2017 at 04:52 AM.

Default Cylinders

Last edited by Sly_G; 12-04-2017 at 04:58 AM.

War-Chester - the dark side of the MOON, apparently...

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    ....while being cool!

Hey Badman, so take a few pictures and write this up in a little more detail and do an article for my website!! Since I know you and Radioman will end up selling many of the special 308 parts to do this conversion at some point in a kit, we will be able to send some business your way.
    Radioman didn't supply anything for the conversion - I store-bought it from these folks:

http://www.retroair.com/ferrariairconditioning.html

They sell everything you need, soup-to-nuts. The primary 'issue' we had was what A/C belt to use with the kit - the instructions didn't specify, so I spoke with the Texas 308 owner I knew from another forum (Ferrari List) who was the engineer for the kit assembly. First, he told me that you use the 'same belt', which David struggled-with several times to get proper tension. After I pressured him, the Engineer finally broke-down and informed me that he wrapped a piece of string around the pulley assembly and found the closest belt-size from the Gates catalog and installed that....figures that a Petroleum Engineer wouldn't bother with such details when authoring the instructions, but there you go.

BTW, upon measurement, Badman and I were getting air temps from the system in the high 40s F. I reused NOTHING from the OEM Ferrari A/C system - at-best, it was a poorly-designed Italian afterthought for the US market.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast