Thread: Winter Maintenance

Default Winter Maintenance

Well, started my annual fluid/PM projects on the 355 last night.
    Too much excitement! The hose blew on my Motive Pressure Bleeder(Birdman knows this well!). Brake fluid ran down under the master cylinder, drained under car. Cleaned up what I could. No paint damage. Turned a short easy job into a 4 hour project. Still need to put the trunk assembly back together!
    Cut hose and reconnected. Completed brake and clutch hydraulic bleed.
    Upcoming coolant change(already have 12 gallons to dispose of!). BMW Grey coolant.
    Engine oil change. Giving Royal Purple 10-40 Synthetic a try this time.
    Gearbox oil. Redline 75/90NS.
    Many idiots on F'Chat complain about fluid service costs. Fluids were over $200.00. Filter and assorted gaskets and seals over $100.00. $300+ with no labor!
    May install my Capristo exhaust bypass valve this year.
    Good friend offered me a Carbon Fiber Groupp M complete intake system for my 5.2 355. So tempting! Looks incredible, lighter and adds a documented 14+hp! Great price/no cash!

Sorry GruppeM

p1.jpg

It sure looks purdeee.... why let something like cash get in the way?
    History always repeats itself,... that's one of the things that's wrong with history.

With the trend on failing transaxle oil intercoolers on 360s, the ones who have been deferring coolant services will really have something to complain about now. With coolant and gear oil mixing in both the cooling system and the transaxle, the cost of repair is a real eye opener. And, just to keep this interesting, the intercoolers are currently on "indefinite backorder" from Ferrari. Then again, flushing or even draining the coolant on most modern Ferraris is a messy job and certainly not DIY friendly. And then there's the time involved in cleaning the screen on the 360 or 550 transaxle. Most good shops do this when doing a transaxle oil service. At least of the 550, the screen is easily accessible. On the 360, the rear valance needs to be removed...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
    "The Fluent in Ferrari Guys" celebrating 37 years of service excellence
    Lakewood Ranch, FL
    www.fluentinferrari.com

That's some sweet looking carbon fiber!

Quote Originally Posted by frenchman View Post
    The hose blew on my Motive Pressure Bleeder(Birdman knows this well!). .....
    Cut hose and reconnected.
    John, DO NOT use that hose anymore, it will blow again. Motive used a plain old piece of clear tubing that simply cannot tolerate brake fluid! I went down to NAPA and bought a 2' length of brake fluid rated black rubber hose. The thing has been great since. You really don't want a repeat performance with brake fluid spraying on your car!!! I was lucky when mine went it was the beemer, not the Ferrari. Also, it was summer so I was able to put the wheel back on, roll the car out into the driveway and hose it down.
    Birdman308 for parts and tutorials!

That is the plan Birdman. Thanks for the warning before I started! Based on your experience I covered the car in towels. Saved any paint damage.
    Unfortunately the fluid did leak under the master cylinder. Excess drained out under car. Doesn't appear to attack the coating Ferrari used in the trunk area. Time will tell!

This is what I use. Tygon makes some superior hose products. And it helps to support one of our own....
    http://www.processsystems.saint-goba...aspx?id=251418
    Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
    "The Fluent in Ferrari Guys" celebrating 37 years of service excellence
    Lakewood Ranch, FL
    www.fluentinferrari.com