Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Triumphs

Yeah that thing was scary to drive. Too close to the road!

Question of the day: Why does my TR3 start to overheat while sitting at idle?

Answer given by Internet: That's just the way they were!

Correct answer shown below: Incorrect modern thermostat installed, so the warm up coolant bypass circuit never closes, and about 1/3rd of the coolant never makes it to the radiator.

Further evidence that whoever put that thermostat in had no clue: They actually (crudely) drilled a bypass hole into it. That's exactly the opposite of the problem!

Solution given by Internet: Just block off the warm up bypass!

Correct solution: Buy the right part.

I'm really starting to think I have no choice but to go through this car completely. While draining the coolant to confirm my suspicions about the thermostat, I noticed the upper control arm bushings are shot.

tstat.jpg
    I enjoy talking to you. Your mind appeals to me. It resembles my own mind except that you happen to be insane.
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Hmmm. I see a similar pattern here. 90% of the 3x8 cars that come in for a running hot concern have the incorrect thermostat in them, as well. There are just too many incorrect cross-references being sold as 'direct replacement.'
    Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
    "The Fluent in Ferrari Guys" celebrating 37 years of service excellence
    **An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
    Sarasota, FL
    www.fluentinferrari.com

The difference is that the Triumph people know full well what the right part is, but they're complaining about it being too expensive to purchase at a whopping $100.

th_repro.jpg
    I enjoy talking to you. Your mind appeals to me. It resembles my own mind except that you happen to be insane.
    ― George Orwell, 1984

That thing looks like it was soldered up in someone's basement!
    Birdman308 for parts and tutorials!

In other words, JB, it's OEM quality!
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Last night while I was out at the Stow cruise night, I noticed a few cracks in the tire treads on the Spit. Figured I should check the date code... March '97! Oops. The good news is that a new set of 155/80R13 tires costs less than what it costs to mount them! The bad news is that my choice these days is crappy tires or really crappy tires. Only other option is to buy overseas and illegally mount them.
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Decisions, decisions..... just leave the old tires on there for the next owner to deal with (ie. the Ferrari owner's creed)
    History always repeats itself,... that's one of the things that's wrong with history.

There's many wear items you cannot screw with and tires and brakes are on the top of the list

2000hp, 380mph Triumph

http://www.blacksaltracing.com/
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast